Friday, September 12, 2014

2 Recipes

Okay, August was insane so I never got around to posting about the 2nd new recipe I made. It was another crock pot dinner, and it was really really good.

Barbecue Pineapple Shredded Chicken

How I made it:
2 frozen chicken breasts
About 1/2 a bottle of BBQ sauce
1 can Pineapple chunks

When I was home for lunch, I put the 2 chicken breasts in the crock pot, then dumped in the pineapple chunks, and then smothered it all with BBQ sauce. Cooked it on high for about 6 hours then shredded the chicken. I ate it over rice, but I think it would be really good as a sandwich. I also think pork would be really good in place of the chicken. No "what I'll do differently" for this recipe; I'll definitely be making this again in the same way.

Quinoa Enchilada Casserole

Based off of this Damn Delicious recipe, but I adjusted the recipe to fit my family's tastes and what I was able to get at the grocery store.

How I made it:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 can mild Enchilada Sauce
1 can corn kernels
1 can black beans
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (approximate)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (approximate)
2 small tomatoes, diced

I cooked the quinoa in 2 cups water, then mixed it with the enchilada sauce, corn, beans, cumin, and about 3/4 cup of each cheese in a big bowl. I spread the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish, and sprinkled the remaining cheese on top and baked it for about 15 minutes at 375. After I took it out of the oven, I sprinkled the diced tomatoes on top. We ate it right away, with a little dollop of sour cream. The original recipe says it serves 6, but I think 4 is a much safer estimate. The way I made it served 3 for dinner with some left over for lunches today, and I included almost twice as much corn and black beans as the original recipe (because I hate when something calls for canned vegetables but doesn't use the whole can).

What I'll do differently next time: The original recipe called for diced avocado, which I would have loved to include, but my local grocery store didn't have any ripe avocados in stock. Next time I make it I may also include some diced tomato mixed into the casserole before it's baked. You can never have too many tomatoes. I think it would also be good to have a green salad to serve on the side just to have some more color variety on the plate. My mom also thought it might be good with some tortilla chips on the side, but my dad had polished off the chips earlier that day so we couldn't test that theory. This recipe was so tasty, Mild Enchilada Sauce just became a pantry staple so I can whip this up without too much notice. I'll pick some up this weekend when I go grocery shopping. Which: I really really need to go grocery shopping. I just got a new fridge and threw out most of the food from the old one. This is seriously what my new fridge looks like right now:


No comments: