Monday, February 16, 2009

Are you a Jenny or a Blake?

I know you love Rilo Kiley. Who doesn't? I'm here to pose a simple question:

Jenny or Blake?

Here's what I mean: Lets say (God forbid) Rilo Kiley gets a divorce, and you have to choose between mommy and daddy. You have to choose a side. Do you choose Jenny or Blake?

Jenny would obviously be the more popular choice. She's the front woman, she's fabulous, she's got great hair. Her side projects have gotten serious press. Blake doesn't get nearly as much attention as Jenny, and it's really too bad. He's just as talented as Jenny, musically (ok- I'll grant that Jenny's singing voice is stronger, but Blake has a good voice as well). I think the fact that he's not a cute red-head with big boobs works against him. 

Really it just comes down to which side project albums you can't live without: Rabbit Fur Coat and Acid Tongue v. Go On and Sun, Sun, Sun.

Rabbit Fur Coat and Sun, Sun, Sun came out at the same time three years ago. There was so much press for RFC, you would think John Lennon and George Harrison had come back to life to record a Beatles come back album. Ok, that's maybe a bit excessive, but you get my point. In contrast, there was very little fanfare for Sun, Sun, Sun. But which one has stood the test of time?

For me, it's Sun, Sun, Sun all the way. I barely listen to RFC, but I listen to Sun, Sun, Sun all the time. I like Jenny's new album, Acid Tongue, more than I liked RFC, but it's still pretty new, so it's hard to say how much of my enjoyment is based on the quality of the songs versus the newness of the songs.

So I'm a Blake. I can live without Rabbit Fur Coat, but I can't live without Sun, Sun, Sun. But I'm thankful that this is just a hypothetical and I don't actually have to choose!

For funsies, here is the Elected song that's been stuck in my head these days. The last verse is my favorite:


2 comments:

Abby-Wan Kenobi said...

dude. When I read just the concept of Mommy v. Daddy I thought to myself "I'll miss her fashions."

I'm with you 100%. Jenny is fabulous, but her non-RK work is better in a mix tape than a desert island scenario (you know, the one where you take one album with you and it is the only music you get to hear for the rest of your life?)

Unfortunately, your readership may have a limited number of people qualified to make this judgement call. Sad. For music lovers and blog readers.

miranda. said...

I think my readership is limited to you, but I'm glad you're with me on this. I realize it's ridiculous to think that if RK break up you would be limited to listening to only Jenny or only Blake, but it's interesting to think about.