Thursday, December 08, 2011

Hott Pads

I'm making quilted potholders (and, depending on my ambition level, larger matching hot pads) for my mom and grandma for Christmas this year*. I decided to whip up one out of random fabrics I had lying around before I tackled the real ones. And, actually, I kind of dig it. The binding is a little wonky, and the quilting-lines aren't straight because I just eye-balled it instead of measuring/marking, but overall I think it turned out alright. I used it to get my pizza out of the oven today and my hands are burn-free. What more could you ask for?

(Apologies for the blurry cellphone pics)

Here's the back. The binding actually looks wonkier from the back, and you can better see how the lines aren't straight. But still, not bad for being whipped up in just a couple hours after work.

Once I get the hang of these potholders, I may try to clear out my fabric closet by selling some on etsy.

*I tried to make potholders for mom & gma for christmas two years ago.... It may have been a little ambitious for my skill level at the time, because I bent my needle and screwed up my machine for a while. That's why I felt I had to try a test-potholder before I went right into making the ones I'm actually going to give out. I managed to complete this one without ruining anything, so I'd say all's good.

No comments: