Friday, June 20, 2008

The Hero Is the One That Stays

I don't know if it's wrong or not, but well-written pieces about Veronica Mars make me cry. I once cried just reading a comment someone left on an article about VM. It was a really well written comment about how Lilly was a metaphor for Veronica's lost innocence and, yes, that's all it takes to make me cry. I wish I could remember where I read it, but I can't, so I can't provide a link so that you can cry also.

There were so many moments in the show that make me cry. Every time I watch the scene where Veronica's paternity is revealed? Waterworks.

From episode 2.22: "So this is how it is. The innocent suffer, the guilty go free, and truth and fiction are pretty much interchangeable. ...There is neither a Santa Claus, nor an Easter Bunny, and there no angels watching over us. Things just happen for no reason, and nothing makes any sense." This reminds me of a similarly toned, yet not as completely bleak quote from the first season : "What was I thinking? Christmas in Neptune is, was and always will be, about the trappings: the lights and the tinsel they use to cover up the sordidness, the corruption. No, Veronica, there is no Santa Claus. " Careful, V. What with all your claiming that Santa ain't real, people will start to think you're a cynic.

The exchange from which I pulled this blog title always really resonated with me. I'm not really sure why, but I think it's one of the best scenes between Veronica and her father, and there are millions of great Veronica/Keith scenes.

Keith: It's just that I never want you to think your mom's the villain in all this.
Veronica: Isn't she?
Keith: No, it's not that simple.
Veronica: Yeah, it is. The hero is the one that stays and the villain is the one that splits.
Keith: I don't think that's a healthy perspective.
Veronica: It's healthier than me pining away everyday, praying she'll come home.

I think it might have something to do with the way Kristin Bell delivers the line "The hero is the one that stays and the villain is the one that splits." She's truly a terrific actress.

I won't go on too much longer, but I just wanted to mention the one line that will always make me cry, always always always. Again, a lot of it has to do with KB's delivery. From the Season One finale:

"I could never."









What? You want more context? Here's the whole scene:

Veronica: Isn't it better like this?
Lilly: So much better.
Veronica: This is how it's supposed to be.
Lilly: Totally.
Veronica: This is how it's going to be from now on. Right? Lilly?
Lilly: [sighs] You know how things are going to be now, don't you? You have to know.
Veronica: Just like this. Just like this.
Lilly: Don't forget about me, Veronica.
Veronica: I could never.

1 comment:

Abby-Wan Kenobi said...

Not two days ago I was watching the episode where Wallace finds out about his real father and VMars repeats that sentiment- something along the lines of "the one that sticks around is the one who really cares".

Everything about that show makes me cry. Its so great. I'm basically choked up every time Logan and Veronica interact. Oh! and rewatching the post-bus-crash episodes, I now get upset every time Meg is mentioned.