Friday, June 13, 2008

What's Happening

Laura and I are going to see the new M. Night Shyamalan movie The Happening today. It currently only has a 22% rating on rotten tomatoes, so I'm a little worried. I have about as much hope for this movie as I had for Sex and the City, which I saw last week. I was actually pleasently suprised by SatC, it wasn't nearly as awful as I was worried it would be. But I think the opposite will happen with The Happening. I'm worried all my fears about the movie being complete crap will be justified.

I know some people hate all M. Night Shyamalan movies. I don't feel that way, at least not about all of them.

I like The Sixth Sense. I saw it in the theaters with my dad, and I'm pretty sure it's the only movie the two of us have seen together without my sister with us. And the only memory I have of the three of us at the theater was going to see a batman movie (I think it was the Val Kilmer one) and she fell asleep and later told my mom it was because it was "so God damn cold in there!" She was about six.

Unbreakable... I don't really love. I just checked on imdb, and I was suprised to see that it's only 106 minutes long. I really thought it was well over two hours. It just seems like it takes forever to get from point a to point b in the movie. I guess this comes from the fact that in most superhero movies, the discovery of the super powers and becoming the hero takes about fifteen minutes, and then you get some good action and fighting the bad guy. This movie is 106 minutes of becoming the hero, and very little action. I'll still watch it when it comes on USA, because it's usually on really late at night and I can fall asleep really easily to it because NOTHING happens.

Signs is a special movie for me and Laura. We saw it in a theater in Florida because it was raining and whatever activity we were going to do that day was rained out. The whole movie was hilarious! Much funnier than The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable. It was like a comedy with some creepy parts. We laughed so hard in the theater, I'm sure we bothered some of the other viewers. Also, Joaquin Pheonix, who despite being both crazy and vegan, is still pretty hot.

The Villiage. I figured out the twist about ten minutes in. The score is really creepy though. Now I kinda want to watch this movie again to see how bad it really is.

Lady in the Water. I almost forgot about this one, and it's probably better that way. I never saw it, and I think my brain thanks me for that.

I'm not really sure what The Happening is about. The tv spots look sufficiently disturbing, and it stars Zooey Deschanel (one of my favorite people, Amazon is being unbearably slow in delivering my copy of her CD) and Marky Mark (C'mon, C'mon!), so it can't be all bad, right?

Also, I just read this post on Chez's blog, which makes me kinda hate Shyamalan.

No comments: