Sunday, November 13, 2011

Dinner and Dead

I no longer get AMC since I downgraded my cable package, so every Sunday night I go over to my parents' house to have family dinner and watch The Walking Dead. Because nothing says "family bonding" like zombie apocalypse. I've taken to calling these gatherings "Dinner and Dead." When Mad Men starts up again it'll change to "Dinner and Draper."

Anyway, my dad's out of town, so tonight's Dinner and Dead was just madre and me. Kind of odd that it would be an all female audience for Dead tonight (well, in our house at least) because I feel like tonight's episode did nothing positive for its female characters. Spoilers below.

I am not exaggerating when I say that the only things the main female characters did in tonight's ep were: do laundry, make dinner, accidentally shoot a main character, and cry. And two of the male characters had a distasteful conversation that basically boiled down to "Are all these bitches PMSing?" "Don't let them hear you say that!"

And of course when Darryl was hallucinating, his brother called him a girl name to shame him. Because there is nothing worse than being female. Although, I guess that makes sense, because an asshole like Merle would totally use girl names as his go-to insult.

Now I still haven't finished the first season (shut up, I'm busy), and I haven't read the graphic novels, but I'm wondering: Is this what the female characters have always been like? Kind of useless? Also, did I miss it, or did they not show how Carol reacted to the doll? Did the other characters not tell her?

Although my judgement may be a little skewed because right before The Walking Dead my mom and I watched the excellent episode of Downton Abbey where Lady Sybil is all pro-women's rights and has the dressmaker make her a frock with pants. Lady Sybil is my favorite.

UPDATE: Apparently I'm not the only one who felt this way about tonight's Walking Dead ep. A facebook friend's status: "Soooo... basically The Walking Dead just told everyone that women should do the d@mn laundry and stay in the kitchen."

No comments: